Doctors of Chiropractic are expertly trained professionals at finding and correcting subluxations which cause stress and irritation to your nervous system. Oftentimes, this stress and irritation is the root cause of symptoms and dysfunction. This is why people with a variety of health conditions see restored health and improved function with chiropractic care. It is important to remember, however, that chiropractors do not claim to treat conditions. Please enjoy reading about some of the conditions we commonly see in our office.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Carpal Tunnel (Median Nerve Syndrome)
- Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
- Foot Pain/Orthodics
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Digestive Issues
- Pinched Nerve
- Irregular Menses
- Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
- Low Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Midback Pain
Asthma is a chronic condition in which a person’s airways are increasingly inflamed. The lining of the airways becomes swollen and the muscles tighten, making it difficult for a person to breathe. The muscles of the airways are under the involuntary control of your nervous system. This allows us to breathe without having to consciously think of it. Chiropractors specialize in removing stress and irritation to your nervous system by correcting subluxations [link to “subluxation]. Many patients have noticed that once a vertebral subluxation is removed and nerve function is improved, they experience a reduction of symptoms.
- Canning, B.J., Fischer, A. (2001) Neural regulation of airway smooth muscle tone. Respir Physiology Mar;125(1-2):113-27. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11240156.
- Fedorchuk C., Opitz, K. Improvement in quality of life and improved cervical curve in an 11-year-old child with asthma following chiropractic intervention: A case study [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr Spr;2014(2) 37-46. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=23616.
- Rectenwald, R. (2014) Resolution of severe chronic asthma in an infant following upper cervial chiropractic care to reduce subluxation [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr Spr;2014(2):27-29. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=23614.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental condition, similar to Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism and learning disabilities. Doctors of Chiropractic specialize in removing nervous system interference and improve neurological function. Many reviews of literature have shown improvements in symptoms experienced by individuals with neurodevelopmental conditions using chiropractic care. Chiropractic care can be a healthy and medication-free alternative to “traditional” ADHD care.
- Gleberzon, B.J., Arts, J., Mei A. and McManus E.L. The use of spinal manipulative therapy for pediatric health conditions: a systematic review of the literature. J Can Chiropractic 2012 56(2):128-41. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22675226.
Carpal Tunnel (Median Nerve Syndrome)
Carpal Tunnel is irritation of the Median Nerve – a nerve in in your hand which innervates your thumb, pointer and middle fingers. Classically, a person will experience symptoms such as tingling or numbness in those areas of their hand. Needless to say, these symptoms can be very annoying and debilitating. Doctors of Chiropractic are experts at detecting subluxations [link to “subluxation”], bone misalignments affecting nerve function. Many patients find that removing subluxations and restoring proper functioning helps alleviate carpal tunnel symptoms.
- Murphy J., Floyd, R. and Varnum C. (2014). Resolution of bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome following subluxation based chiropractic care: A case study [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. Fall;2014(4): 206-210. https://vertebralsubluxation.sharepoint.com/Pages/2014_1330_carpal_tunnel.aspx.
- Brantingham J.W., Cassa T.K., Bonnefin, D., Pribicevic, M., Robb, A., Pollard, H., Tong V., Korporaal C. (2013). Manipulative and multimodal therapy fro upper extremity and temporomandibular disorders: A systematic review. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. Mar;36(3):143-201. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23697915.
Fertility is a delicate balance of hormone levels and cooperation between organ systems. Fertility concerns can be incredibly frustrating and emotionally draining for couples who are trying to conceive. The events that must occur to create and support a new life are amazing: an ovum (egg) must mature and be released, Must journey through the female’s fallopian tubes and hopefully encounter a viable sperm before lodging itself into nutritious uterine lining. And, that’s just the beginning.
All of these stages are under the control of the nervous system. From the female’s point-of-view, branches of nerves that originate in her low back and pelvic area supply her ovaries and uterus. As pregnancy continues, her nervous system controls the changes in her body and hormone release as the fetus grows. For the male, similar nerves in his lower back region supply the testes, which create and develop healthy sperm.
Doctors of chiropractic evaluate spinal and nervous system health. By correcting subluxations [link to “subluxation”], chiropractors remove interference to the nervous system. Many patients have noticed that a properly functioning nervous system as a result of chiropractic care allows their body to more easily support pregnancy.
- Abbott, G. and Stone-McCoy, P. (2012). Resolution of infertility, healthy pregnancy and delivery in a patient previously diagnosed with polycystic ovarian sydrome [PCOS]: A case report and selective review of literature [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Win;2012(1):26-30. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2012_1195_infertility.aspx.
- Borkhuis, S. and Crowell, M. Resolution of infertility in a 31-year-old female undergoing chiropractic care for the resolution of vertebral subluxation: A case report [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Fall;2013(4):78-83. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2013_1262_infertility.aspx.
- Bulsa, S.M. (2008). Infertility and chiropractic: a review of the literature. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr. Mar;9(1):567-571. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=20136.
- Murphy, J.T. (2010). A review of complementary and alternative care for infertility issues. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr. Dec;11(2):804-810. http://jccponline.com/jccp_v11_n2.pdf.
- Schwanz, J.W. And Schwanz, J.T. (2012). Female infertility and subluxation-based Gonstead chiropractic care: A case study and selective review of the literature [case report; review]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Fall;2012(4):85-94. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2012_1223_infertility.aspx
Experiencing dizziness and vertigo can be very disorienting and confusing. Vertigo is a condition where the part of your ear which helps your body know your position in space isn’t working properly. It makes sense, therefore, that you would feel dizzy when that part of your ear isn’t functioning the way it should. Many other conditions can have dizziness as a symptom, but making sure your nervous system is functioning correctly could help alleviate your dizziness.
- Burcon, M.T. (2010). Upper cervical specific protocol and results for 139 patients with medically diagnosed Meniere’s disease. J Vert Sublux Res. Nov(14): 1-10. http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2011/05/05/8398635/2010-1283_menieres.pdf/.
- Humphreys, BK and Peterson, C. (2013). Comparison of outcomes in neck pain patients with and without dizziness undergoing chiropractic treatment: A prospective cohort study with a 6 month follow-up. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2013(21.3): 15. http://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2045-709X-21-
Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
Hypertension occurs when the force of blood flowing through your blood vessels is abnormally strong. Chronic hypertension can lead to serious health complications including: heart attacks and heart failure, blood vessel damage, strokes and kidney disease. In the United States, 1 in 3 adults have high blood pressure, or about 70 million people. This health problem costs the US $46 billion each year in health care services, medications and missed work.
Your nervous system is responsible for monitoring and altering your blood pressure. The nerves in your body control the constriction of small muscles in your blood vessels, as well as orchestrate the strength and rate of your heartbeat. For example, when you start to exercise, your body will recognize the increased oxygen demand and compensate by changing your heart rate. Doctors of Chiropractic help to ensure your nervous system is functioning optimally. Some chiropractic patients have noticed a normalization of their blood pressure while under chiropractic care.
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension). NIH – National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Pubmed Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0024199/.
- High Blood Pressure Facts. (2/19/2015). CDC – National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm.
- Nansel, D. et. al. (1991). Effects of cervical adjustments on lateral-flexion passive end-range asymmetry and on blood pressure, heart rate and plasma catecholamine levels. J Manipul Ther. 1991;14:450-456. http://gonstead.com/rsrchtitle/effects-of-cervical-adjustment-on-lateral-flexion-passive-end-range-asymmetry-and-on-blood-pressure-heart-rate-and-plasma-catecholamine-levels/.
- Plaugher, G. and Bachman, T.R. (1993). Chiropractic management of a hypertensive patient. J Manipul Ther. 1993;16:544-549. http://gonstead.com/rsrchtitle/chiropractic-management-of-a-hypertensive-patient/.
Allergies are the symptoms we experience when our bodies have an increased immune response to an irritant. Your body will naturally direct immune cells and proteins to combat harmful pathogens that come into contact with the body. Sometimes a hyperactive response occurs to otherwise harmless substances like pet dander or pollen. Your nervous system orchestrates these immune responses, and some patients have found that reducing stress on their nervous system by seeing a chiropractor helps their allergy symptoms.
- Alcantara, J., Van Roo, L. and Oman, RE. Chiropractic care of a pediatric patient with asthma, allergies, chronic colds & vertebral subluxation [case report]. J. Pediatric Maternal & Family Health – Chiropr. 2009(3):7. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=20711.
- Davies, N.J., Jamison, J.R. (2007). Chiropractic management of irritable baby syndrome. Chiropractic J. Aust. 37(1):25-29. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=19488.
- Fedorchuk, C., Opitz, K. (2014). Improvement in Quality of Life and Improved Cervical Curve in an 11-year-old Child with Asthma Following Chiropractic Intervention: A Case Study. J. Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health. http://www.mccoypress.net/jpmfh/docs/2014-1320_asthma.pdf.
- Postles, A., Haavik, T. (2010). Changes in asthma symptoms and bedwetting in a four year old child receiving chiropractic care: A case report. Chiropractic J. Aust. 40(1):34-36. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=21074.
Depression is the top cause of disability worldwide. The World Health Organization reports that over 350 million people suffer from this condition. Symptoms of depression include feelings of sadness and loss of interest in activities a person once enjoyed for a prolonged period of time. Someone suffering from depression may also experience changes in appetite, trouble sleeping, fatigue and difficulty concentrating.
Researchers have noticed that people dealing with depression have altered nervous system and brain function. Most notably, depressive patients commonly have an overactive amygdala (which controls emotional responses) and underactive prefrontal cortex (which controls executive function). Doctors of chiropractic are trained to detect disturbances in the nervous system and restore proper nervous system functioning. Many chiropractic patients have noticed changes in depression symptoms with chiropractic care.
- Smith, K. Mental health: a world of depression. Nature. 2014 Nov 13;515(7526):181. doi: 10.1038/515180a. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25391942.
- Anthes, E. Depression: a change of mind. Nature. 2014 Nov 13;515(7526):185-7. doi: 10.1038/515185a. https://www.nature.com/news/depression-a-change-of-mind-1.16325.
- Genthner GC, Friedman HL, Studley CF. Improvement in depression following reduction of upper cervical vertebral subluxation using orthospinology technique. J Vert Sublux Res. 2005 ;NOV(7):Online access only 4 p. ICLID: 19429
- Tsai, JF. A case of chiropractic manipulation immediately relieving depression with chronic pain. J Altern Complement Med. 2009 Jun;15(6):611-2. doi: 10.1089/acm.2009.0031.
Most people know colic as a screaming, inconsolable infant. This can be very frustrating for parents, and it is a big stress on a family. A variety of factors can contribute to a baby’s colicky nature. It is important that a colicky baby is getting the right nutrition and having their nervous system checked by a chiropractor. Chiropractors change their technique for infants; the amount of pressure used to adjust a newborn is less than what would be uncomfortable to push on your closed eyelid! Chiropractic care has been shown to be a gentle, non-invasive and cost-effective way to help your baby with their colic symptoms.
- Miller, J. (2013). Cost of routine care for infant colic in the UK and costs of chiropractic manual therapy as a management strategy alongside a RCT for this condition. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr. Jun 2013(14:1). http://jccponline.com/jccp_v14_n1.pdf.
- Miller, JE, Newell, D. and Bolton, JE. (2012). Efficacy of chiropractic manual therapy on infant colic: A pragmatic single-blind, randomized controlled trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. Oct 2012(35:8): 600-607. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23158465.
- Rubin, D. and Istok, M. (2013). Resolution of infantile colic, torticollis, plagiocephaly and feeding difficulties following subluxation based chiropractic: A case report [care report]. J Pediatr Matern & Family Health – Chiropr. Spr 2013(2013:2) 24-27. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2013_1085_plagiocephaly.aspx.
Doctors of Chiropractic focus on a patient’s spine and nervous system, but they work on other joints of the body as well. Sometimes foot pain can be originating from a low back issue, or it may be arising from the foot itself. It is important for your doctor of chiropractic to differentiate between these two.
By realigning the bones in a patient’s foot, chiropractors help restore functionality to these joints and reduce pain symptoms. The doctors of Rowe Chiropractic Offices may also recommend custom orthotics designed to balance the arches of a patient’s foot. Fitting for these orthotics is performed in-office at a patient’s convenience. Find out more information about the foot orthotics we offer here [link].
- Lubbe, D., Lakhani, E., Brantingham, J.W., Parkin-Smith, G.F., Cassa, T.K., Globe G.A. and Korporaal, C. Manipulative therapy and rehabilitation for recurrent ankle sprain with functional instability: a short-term, assessor-blind, parallel-group randomized trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015 Jan;38(1):22-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.10.001.
- Brantingham, J.W., Bonnefin, D., Perle, S.M., Cassa, T.K., Globe, G., Pribicevic, M., Hicks, M. and Korporaal, C. Manipulative therapy for lower extremity conditions: update of a literature review. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012 Feb;35(2):127-66. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2012.01.001.
- Cambron, J.A., Duarte, M., Dexheimer, J. and Solecki, T. Shoe orthotics for the treatment of chronic low back pain: a randomized controlled pilot study. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2011 May;34(4):254-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2011.04.004.
Diabetes describes the condition in which your blood sugar levels are too high. Diabetes can be either an acquired (I) or autoimmune (Type 2) condition. Increased blood sugar levels can occur in the body from a variety of different factors. Your body may secrete improper amounts of different hormones controlling sugar levels. Your body can become resistant to absorbing the sugar in your blood leading to excessive sugar intake in your diet.
Your nervous system controls every function in your body, including the secretion of hormones into the bloodstream. Chiropractors work to remove interference in your nervous system by finding and correcting subluxations [link to “subluxation”].Many patients have noticed improved regulation of their blood sugar levels with chiropractic care. Ask your chiropractor for nutritional and lifestyle advice that could additionally help with diabetes symptoms.
- Yachter, D and Jarry, M. (2015). Resolution of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a 67 year old female following subluxation-based chiropractic care: A case study [case study]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. 2015 Spring(2): Online only 119-124. https://vertebralsubluxation.sharepoint.com/Pages/2015_1369_diabetes.aspx.
- Roberto, F. and Sousley, E. (2011). Resolution of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a patient undergoing subluxation based chiropractic care and dietary recommendations: A case study [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. 2011 Summer (3): Online only 73-81. http://vertebralsubluxation.sharepoint.com/Pages/2011_1101_diabetes.aspx
- Valli, J. (2004). Chiropractic management of a 46 year-old type 1 diabetic patient with upper crossed syndrome and adhesive capsulitis. J Chiropr Med.Autumn 3(4): 138-44. Valli, J. (2004). Chiropractic Management of a 46-Year-Old Type 1 Diabetic Patient with Upper Crossed Syndrome and Adhesive Capsulitis. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 3(4), 138–144. http://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-3467(07)60101-3.
The process of digesting your food is a complicated interplay of different factors. It’s a balance of stomach enzyme secretion and muscle movement. Your nervous system controls this digestion process – you don’t have to consciously think about turning lunch into usable nutrients! When our digestive system isn’t functioning properly, we definitely know it! Many people experience the symptoms of digestive issues – upset stomach, GERD, constipation, excessive gas, bloating, diarrhea and more. Because your nervous system controls the digestion and movement of food, it’s important to make sure that the nerves that control those areas have no interference.
- Biehl, ER and Gerken, D. (2014). Resolution of gastroesophageal reflux disorder in an infant with vertebral subluxation: A case report and selective review of literature [case report; review]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Spr 2014(2014:2): 21-26. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2014_1277_gerd.aspx.
- Fedorchuk, C. and Mohammed, H. (2014). Improvement in GERD following reduction of vertebral subluxation & improved sagittal alignment utilizing Chiropractic Biophysics protocol [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. Spr 2014(2014:2): 99-109. https://vertebralsubluxation.sharepoint.com/Pages/2014_1319_gerd.aspx.
- Guliani, K. and Rubin, D. (2014). Improvements in developmental delay, colic and GERD in a child undergoing chiropractic care: A case report and review of literature [case report; review]. J Pediatr & Fam Health – Chiropr. Win 2012(2012:1): 1-4. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2012_1145_milestones.aspx.
A “pinched nerve” may also be known as nerve compression or radiculopathy. This happens when surrounding tissues and structures put pressure on a nerve root. This physical impingement does not allow the nerve to function properly. Common symptoms of this condition include tingling, numbness and weakness in the area supplied by the affected nerve.
When a vertebrae moves out of position in your back, it puts increased stress on the function of nerves in that area. This misalignment and resultant impairment of nerve function is called a subluxation, and Doctors of Chiropractic are highly trained in finding and correcting these issues. Getting adjusted by a Doctor of Chiropractic restores proper nerve function.
- Peterson, C.K. et. al. (Mar-Apr. 2016). Symptomatic, Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Confirmed Cervical Disk Herniation Patients: A Comparative Effectiveness Prospective Observational Study of 2 Age- and Sex-Matched Cohorts Treated With Either Image-Guided Indirect Cervical Nerve Root Injections or Spinal Manipulative Therapy. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 39(3):210-7. http://www.jmptonline.org/article/S0161-4754(16)00051-8/pdf.
- Plaugher, G., Thornton R.E. And Salem C. (2001). Chiropractic care of a patient with vertebral subluxations and unsuccessful surgery of the cervical spine [case report]. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 24(7):477-482. http://www.jmptonline.org/article/S0161-4754(01)40866-9/pdf.
- Roffers, S.D., Hoiriis, K.T. And Duffy, J.L. (2010). Resolution of traumatic cervical radiculopathy with chiropractic care to reduce vertebral subluxations: A case report [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. Dec(8): 1-4. https://vertebralsubluxation.sharepoint.com/Pages/2010_1281_radiculopathy.aspx.
As many as 30% of women of child-bearing age experience some irregularity in their menstrual cycle. It is important for women to pay attention to their menstrual cycle, as it is an important indicator for overall health. Many factors like hormonal imbalances, emotional and physical stresses can have a large impact on a woman’s cycle.
Every factor from timing to pain level and flow is under your unconscious control. Release of the ovum (egg) and uterine lining build-up and shedding are all part of a delicate hormonal balance, and the conductor of it all is your nervous system. Nerves that originate in your spinal cord innervate the organs that produce hormones and control the anatomy involved in making your menstrual cycle possible.
When you receive a chiropractic adjustment, you reduce nervous system interference that could contribute to menstrual irregularities. Chiropractic adjustments have been shown to be a non-invasive and effective way of helping restore nervous system balance with the potential to help with irregular menstrual symptoms.
- Gauthier, A. and Mullin, L. (2010). The effects of Gonstead chiropractic care on a patient with primary amenorrhea: a case report and review of related literature [case report;review]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Sum;2010(3): 116-121. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=21345.
- Holtzman, D.A., Petrocco-Napuli, K.L. And Burke, J.R. (2008). Prospective case series on the effects of lumbosacral manipulation on dysmenorrhea [case report]. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. Mar;31(3):237-246. http://www.jmptonline.org/article/S0161-4754(08)00028-6/abstract.
- Ko, M. and Khauv, K. (2012). Resolution of secondary amenorrhea of 20 years in a woman undergoing subluxation-based chiropractic care [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Spr(2012:2):38-42. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2012_1210_secamen.aspx.
- Sheehan, J. Reviewed by Marcellin, L. (2010). Premenstrual Sydrome: The Facts About Irregular Periods. Everyday Health.
- Spears, L.G. (2005). A narrative review of medical, chiropractic, and alternative health practices in the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea [review]. J Chiropr Med. Spr;4(2):76-88. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2647037/pdf/main.pdf.
Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of a person’s spine. There are many different locations, shapes and degrees of scoliosis. While scoliosis can be present at any age, most cases are first noticed in childhood or adolescence.
Important factors affecting spinal condition and shape include the alignment of the bones (vertebrae) in your back and proper nervous system functioning that directs growth and development. When a vertebra becomes misaligned, it not only affects the biomechanics and structure of your spine, it can also impair nerve functioning in that area. Doctors of chiropractic specialize in finding these areas of misalignment and decreased function, called subluxations. Chiropractic care has helped many individuals in decreasing the angle of their scoliosis.
- Byun, S. and Han D. (Apr 2016) The effect of chiropractic techniques on the Cobb angle in idiopathic scoliosis arising in adolescence. J Phys Ther Sci. 28(4): 1106-10. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4868195/.
- Chen, K.C. And Chiu, E.H. (Jul 2008). Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis treated by spinal manipulation: a case study. J Altern Complement Med. 14(6): 749-51. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18673077.
- Morningstar, M. (Spr 2011). Four-year follow-up of a patient undergoing chiropractic rehabilitation for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health. 2011(2): 54-58. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2011_1120_scoliosis.aspx.
- Morningstar, M. (Sep 2011). Outsomes for adult scoliosis patients receiving chiropractic rehabilitation: a 24-month retrospective analysis. J Chiropr Med. 10(3): 179-184. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3259989/.
Torticollis occurs when muscles in your neck abnormally contract, causing your head position to become twisted and stuck to one side. This condition can happen at any age. Congenital (from birth) torticollis is commonly seen in newborns whose head/neck was in a strained position in the womb. Torticollis can also occur as an acute condition following trauma. Torticollis can be painful and severely limits motion of the neck and head.
Doctors of Chiropractic are experts at finding and correcting subluxations – misalignments of bones that affect the nervous system. Often, nervous system impairment caused by subluxations and physical malposition of bones can cause taut musculature. By reducing subluxations, patients with torticollis have noticed that their muscular spasm resolves.
- Siegenthaler, M.H. (2015). Chiropractic management of infantile torticollis with associated abnormal fixation of one eye: A case report. J Chiropr Med. 14(1):51-56.
- William S. (2014). Improvements of congenital torticollis, plagiocephaly and breastfeeding issues in an infant following subluxation based chiropractic care: A case study. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. 2014(4):87-94.
- Rubin, D. and Istock, M. (2013). Resolution of infantile colic, torticollis, plagiocephaly and feeding difficulties following subluxation based chiropractic: A case report. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health- Chiropr. 2013(2):24-27.
- Kaufman, R. (2009). Comanagement and collaborative care of a 20-year-old female with acute viral torticollis [case report]. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 32(2):160-165.
Your body has the very important job of making decisions for you constantly, and most of the time these decisions are beyond your awareness. It’s a good thing that many of these biological processes occur at an unconscious level – who would want to have to stop and think every time you needed to digest your food or pump your heart? One job your body has is to regulate the amount of different compounds in your blood, including cholesterol. This is a very complicated process, and it’s coordinated by your nervous system. It’s very important that there isn’t any interference or irritation in the nerves controlling these important functions. Doctors of Chiropractic check for this irritation and correct it, thus helping normalize the levels of fats in your blood.
- Fedorchuk, C., Burk, J. and Phillips, S. (2011). Reduction in cholesterol and improved quality of life in a patient with dyslipidemia undergoing chiropractic care: A case study [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. Spr;2011(2): 26-36. http://www.mccoypress.net/annals/docs/2011-1121_dyslipidemia.pdf.
- Slinger, A., and Lesho, S. (2014). Reduction in cardiovascular disease risk factors following chiropractic care: A case study & selective review of the literature [case report; review]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. Spr 2014(2014:2): 80-88. http://www.mccoypress.net/annals/docs/2014-1159_cvd.pdf.
Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
Ear infections, or Otitis Media (i.e. inflammation of the inner ear), are common but not normal in young children. Most parents recognize it as a fussy child with a fever, and they may show other signs like tugging at their ear or increased redness over the affected area. Commonly antibiotics are prescribed, even though many ear infection cases are viral.
Now here’s another story: getting your child’s nervous system checked by your chiropractor. The drainage of your child’s ear tube is controlled by a small muscle that is innervated by important cranial nerves. When there is irritation or interference with the nerves controlling that muscle, drainage of the ear tube is less efficient. That creates a perfect environment for unwelcome bacteria or virus particles to “set up shop,” proliferate and become an infection. Bringing your child into a chiropractor helps to ensure that they have a healthy nervous system. This could prove a safe and effective way to combat this pesky problem.
- Dunn-Sigouin K. (2015). Resolution of recurrent acute otitis media in a child undergoing chiropractic care: A case report. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr. Oct 15(1) p1203-1204. http://jccponline.com/Recurrent-otitis-media.pdf.
- Fallon, JM. (1997). The Role of the Chiropractic Adjustment in the Care and Treatment of 332 Children With Otitis Media. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr. Oct 2(2):167-183. www.icps4kids.org.
- Feranti, M. Alcantara, J. and Brinkley, C. (2016). Chronic otitis media, failed tympanostomy tube surgery and resolution following adjustment of vertebral subluxation [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health. Win;2016(1):5-8. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2016_1410_earinfections.aspx.
- Stone-McCoy, P.A., Boutilier, A. and Black, P. (2010). Resolution of otitis media in a nine month old undergoing chiropractic care: A case study and selective review of the literature [case report; review]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Sum 2010(3): p99-106. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2013_1264_otitis.aspx.
Fibromyalgia is characterized by chronic, severe, widespread pain in a variety of “tender points” throughout the body. This pain can be accompanied by other symptoms as well – fatigue, loss of sleep, increased pain sensitivity and numbness or tingling. Diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be frustrating because there is currently no medical test that will show an abnormal result with the disorder. What is known is that fibromyalgia results from changes in communication between the brain and the body, which could lead to altered sensation.
Doctors of Chiropractic are experts of the spine and nervous system. They are the most highly trained individuals at finding misplaced bones that cause interference to your nervous system – called subluxations – and correcting those problems. Many patients suffering from fibromyalgia have noticed relief from their symptoms with chiropractic care.
- Fedorchuk C, Lightstone D, Moser JH. Improvement in symptoms, cervical alignment & quality of life in a 40-year-old female with fibromyalgia following Chiropractic BioPhysics® Technique: A case study and selective review of literature [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. 2017 Winter-Spring;2017(1-2):Online access p 34-46. ICLID: 24974 ]2. Tedder N, Tedder A, Gorshack SJ. Resolution of chronic fibromyalgia and improved spinal curves following correction of an atlas subluxation: A case report & selective review of the literature [case report; review]. J Upper Cervical Chiropr Res. 2015 Summer;2015(3):Online access only p 24-29. ICLID: 24073
- Apatiga A, Soriano W. Resolution of fibromyalgia & polypharmacy concomitant with increased cervical curve & improved quality of life following reduction of upper cervical subluxation: A case study [case report]. J Upper Cervical Chiropr Res. 2014 Fall;2014(4):Online access only p 61-67. ICLID: 23963.
Anxiety is an important emotional response to perceived danger. Anxiety and stress is appropriate in momentary “fight-or-flight” instances – these stress and anxiety responses were adaptive and motivated our ancestors to run from predators and aid in our survival. The issue with anxiety is when it becomes chronic, disproportionate and disrupts our social and personal life. Chronic stress and anxiety is harmful to our health and lowers our immune responses.
Our nervous system is in charge of orchestrating the anxiety responses in our bodies. The pathophysiology of anxiety is complex and involves a variety of factors. It is of utmost importance that our nervous system is functioning properly so that these anxiety responses can occur normally. Doctors of chiropractic improve body functioning by removing subluxations [link], which cause stress and interference to the nervous system.
- Gelfuso, EA, Rosa, DS, Fachin, AL, Mortari, MR, Cunha, AO and Beleboni, RO. Anxiety: a systematic review of neurobiology, traditional pharmaceuticals and novel alternatives from medicinal plants. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2014 Feb;13(1):150-65. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24040796.
- Lucks C, Lucks L. Resolution of panic disorder and improved quality of life in a patient receiving Network Spinal Analysis and Somato Respiratory Integration care: A case report. Ann Vert Sublux Res. 2016 ;2016(3):Online access only p 111-117. ICLID: 24806.
- Roth L, Zelman D, Clum L, Roth J. Upper cervical chiropractic care as a complementary strategy for depression and anxiety: A prospective case series analysis [case report] . J Upper Cervical Chiropr Res. 2013 Spring;2013(2):Online access only p 49-59. ICLID: 22917
- Behrend TM, Olsen N. The impact of subluxation correction on mental health: reduction of anxiety in a female patient under chiropractic care [case report]. J Vert Sublux Res. 2004 ;SEP(20):Online access only 10 p.. ICLID: 19437
Low Back Pain
We know lower back pain can negatively affect your everyday life.
It can prevent you from working, hanging out with friends and family, and participating in leisurely activities. Here’s what you need to know about spinal posture and pain management.
Neck pain is a condition often treated with a pain reliever and some rest. However it is also the 4th leading cause of disability in the United States. With nearly 50% of adults struggling with chronic neck pain, we highly recommend you work with a professional to develop a care plan to treat the root cause of your pain.
Headaches are a widespread health concern and have many presentations. Over 300 different types of headaches are known, with common types including: migraines, tension-type, trigeminal and injury-related. Tension-type headaches are the most prevalent and affect approximately 42% of the adult population worldwide. Headaches can range in sensation and intensity from dull and achy to throbbing and pounding to sharp and stabbing. Headaches have a huge impact on daily life, productivity and relationships.
Oftentimes headaches have a spinal, postural or muscular components that doctors of chiropractic are trained to identify and correct. By removing subluxations [link to “subluxation”], chiropractors help to reestablish proper communication between brain and body. Many chiropractic patientS have seen improvement of their headache symptoms with chiropractic care.
- Berry RH, Oakley PA, Harrison DE. Alleviation of chronic headaches by correcting lateral head translation posture (–TxH) using Chiropractic Biophysics & Berry Translation Traction [case report]. Ann Vert Sublux Res. 2017 Winter-Spring;2017(1-2):Online access only p 87-92. ICLID: 24967
- Bonello R, Pollard H, Tuchin PJ. A randomized controlled trial of chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy for migraine. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2000 Feb;23(2):91-95. ICLID: 14672
- Laferrière, E. Positive chiropractic treatment outcome of migraine without aura in a 6-year-old presenting with sleep bruxism and chronic sinus congestion: a case-report. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr. 2016 Dec 15(3):Online access only p1309-1314. http://jccponline.com/migraine.pdf.
Bedwetting, or involuntary urination while sleeping, affects many children and adolescents. It is important to remember that nocturnal bedwetting is involuntary, which means your child cannot consciously control whether or not they release urine in their sleep. What does control this function are the nerves that innervate a smooth muscle valve that releases urine from the bladder. A nervous system free of vertebral subluxations [link to “subluxation”] can help to improve bedwetting symptoms and improve function. Getting your child checked by your chiropractor is a non-invasive and medication-free alternative for helping bedwetting symptoms.
- Luscombe, S., Holmes, S. (2014). Resolution of nocturnal enuresis in a 10-year old child following chiropractic care to reduce vertebral subluxation: A case report [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Sum;2014(3): 55-59. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2014_1324_noctenuresis.aspx.
- Milano, K. (2013). Resolution of childhood enuresis and neck pain in a 10 year old male: A case report [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health. Fall;2013(4): 90-94. http://www.chiroindex.org/?search_page=articles&action=&articleId=23268.
- Rodnick, A., Rodnick P. (2010). Resolution of childhood nocturnal enuresis following subluxation-based chiropractic care: A retrospective case report [case report]. J Pediatr Matern & Fam Health – Chiropr. Fall;2010(4): 159-162. http://chiropracticpediatrics.sharepoint.com/Pages/2010_1020_enuresis.aspx
Plan For Your Visit
Know Your Pain Points
The more you understand your pain, the better we can help you!
Prepare Your Q's
Come with questions for us!
We are here to guide your health.